Wednesday 21 January 2009

A Whole New You

Whole New You

Since Christmas I have been inundated, with the idea that for the New Year, there must be a NEW ME. This year, I must be happier, prettier, more successful, thinner, funnier and last - but not least – I must be younger than last year! (Quite a feat!) I am left wondering – what was so wrong with who I was in 2008?

There is a huge industry out there that spends millions on subtly making us hate ourselves. They know that once we feel bad enough, we try to do something about it. This normally means spending vast amounts of money, and is fantastic for business!

So we try to buy ourselves happy. We buy products and we buy experiences – all geared towards making us feel better. From make up consultants to style consultants, from personal trainers to coaches… There are beauty shops, health spas, plastic surgeons… The underlying message is that if you spend enough – i.e. if you spend your money with us – you will become acceptable, maybe even perfect?

The messages are so constant, and so subtle, it is really hard not to become affected. I know I have succumbed on many occasions. And at no time are these messages louder and more in your face than just after Christmas; when we have just had a few days rest; a little time to enjoy, to maybe go a bit overboard, to do what people have done through the ages: celebrate the turning of the sun – the darkest time of the year, with a little leg up!

Kick them whilst they are down – you can almost hear the corporations yelling! (It is so effective, you see).

So the best New Year’s resolution I can think of, is for all you lovely people is to learn to accept and love yourself. It sounds cheesy, but it is so true. Happiness comes from within, not from what you buy. The people in your life like the fact that you are you, so join them! I have decided I refuse to believe that I am not good enough. I do not look like a model, and I am definitely not perfect, but I am just right for my life. I hope you can come to the same conclusion.

At Nothing Nasty we do not want you to feel bad about yourself. We want you to be happy! We will never use negative marketing to try to make you buy more products. We just want you to have comfortable skin and to enjoy using our natural skin care products.

Have a happy 2009!

P.S. See our lovely new range of organic soaps.

No comments: